As you know from our ongoing series about the new Lenovo ThinkAgile CP, a composable cloud platform developed in conjunction with Cloudistics, we’re exploring how Cloudistics addresses the needs and wants of anybody who engages with cloud—from IT admins all the way to users. In this post, we’re going to explore how Cloudistics solves the pains of conventional IT to support the needs of DevOps, particularly accelerating DevOps agility.
DevOps came about as an alternative to waterfall methodologies because it’s more agile — applications can be created, tested, and deployed more quickly, changes and enhancements happen more quickly, so organizations can increase the speed at which they help their customers. This all sounds like a great idea, but for many organizations, the key problem any DevOps team has to solve is access to IT resources. For an organization that’s moved to DevOps, conventional IT won’t cut it.
Why is that? Because DevOps needs speed. It needs a way to get IT resources as quickly as possible in order to start developing, testing, deploying, and enhancing applications. If IT resources aren’t forthcoming, developers can’t do their job.
That’s why DevOps and cloud go hand in hand. Everyone knows that developers love the cloud because cloud computing accelerates developer productivity and agility by offering self-service provisioning. In other words, unlike the bad old days of manually requesting datacenter resources, having the request sit in a queue for days until an IT admin got to the request, many clouds give developers the tools they need to provision infrastructure. Cloud makes resource provisioning SIMPLE and QUICK.
Without needing to wait for IT operations to provision resources, developers can quickly try new things, fail fast or quickly succeed, ideally bringing new products to market faster and decreasing time to value. The same goes for test, QA and production environments. Being able to automatically provision infrastructure resources goes a long way to solving the major pain DevOps experiences while trying to accelerate digital transformation.
But there’s often a downside to self-service provisioning that makes it a challenge for organizations. Again and again, you hear about organizations that gave their DevOps teams access to the public cloud, and then, in a few months, were blindsided by massive cost overruns. That’s not necessarily the developers’ fault. Public cloud can be difficult to manage. The downside of its simplicity is loss of CONTROL. It’s simply too easy for developers to spin up new instances, expand them, add storage capacity—and then be surprised when the costs skyrocket.
Fortunately, there’s another way. What if you had a cloud platform that delivered the simplicity of public cloud, cloud management, orchestration, automation, self-service provisioning—with the control of an on-premise infrastructure? Now you can.
Since 2013, Cloudistics has exceeded the promises of the IT status quo—public cloud, private cloud, or virtualization—by delivering a private cloud with a premium experience. Our aim is to break the barriers to cloud adoption with a private cloud that unlocks the power of your people by balancing simplicity and control.
And now with the new Lenovo ThinkAgile CP Series, a full-fledged Cloudistics experience on Lenovo hardware, your organization can have an all-in-one, turnkey, composable private cloud platform that can accelerate your service delivery without the challenges of conventional approaches.
How do we help developers solve their challenges? ThinkAgile CP provides a premium experience for your development teams, delivering high levels of performance, uptime, and self-service agility.
- Once ordered, deploying the platform is fast, since all the components have been pre-integrated and tested. The time from receiving the platform to running your first application takes under 2 hours, letting your developers begin to use it immediately.
- As their needs grow, a deployed platform can be easily scaled, with support for independent scaling of compute, storage and network resources. The platform automatically detects new hardware and adds it to a pool of available resources with no interoperability concerns.
- Once deployed, a generalist can support the development teams with total control over the platform. There is comprehensive capacity and performance monitoring to give developers the information they need to tweak and tune applications. The admin can also control application instances if needed to reduce performance bottlenecks or add compute, storage, or networking capacity as apps move from development through testing and QA into production.
- Carving out resources on behalf of new projects, departments, or tenants, as needed is simple. Each project, department, or tenant gets its own separate and secure virtual data center (VDC) with self-service provisioning. Each VDC has a VDC administrator who only manages its applications, while a separate platform administrator manages the full cloud platform. Capacity and performance monitoring is available at the level of VDCs or individual apps.
- If developers need access to gold standard operating system or application images they’re built into their platform, they’ll have immediate access. Applications to be run in the VDC can be selected from the more than 70 performance-optimized, virus scanned choices in our curated application marketplace. This allows the customer to simplify, standardize and secure IT delivery. Alternatively, an existing customer application may be live migrated into our platform from other environments, such as VMware.
- Finally, platform maintenance is automated. New performance, functionality or security updates to the platform can be applied remotely and non-disruptively so developers can keep working.
Effectively, like the public cloud, we take care of the infrastructure, leaving your development teams to focus on their applications.
To summarize, the Think Agile CP Composable Cloud Platform is a turnkey solution that lets your developers focus on their apps instead of their infrastructure. It enables demand-driven delivery in your IT operations; it pro-actively manages IT capacity to serve your business; and it optimizes IT operations with more productivity and lower cost. Learn more about how the ThinkAgile CP Composable Cloud Platform, powered by Cloudistics, gives your DevOps team agility for innovation.