In the context of your virtual data center architecture you’ve probably never considered the impact that clustered systems have on operational efficiency. After all, they’ve been in use for years and within the context of virtualized systems they manage all the storage and compute resources needed by VMs. So why consider a non-clustered architecture? While clusters are beneficial for VM migration and management they have some limitations that limit scalability, decrease resource efficiency, impact performance and manageability, reduce flexibility and introduce potential instability.
Is there another way to manage your VMs while preserving the benefits and eliminating the downsides of clustering? Yes, the Cloudistics Cloud Platform introduces an innovative approach – non-clustered (or clusterless) federated design. Introduced to the market in 2016, the Cloudistics Cloud Platform provides a superior cloud experience with the agility, scalability, and ease-of-use of the public cloud but at a significantly better performance (8x) and much lower cost (1/2). It comes with all the software and hardware needed to run applications out of the box and doesn’t require additional third-party software (such as VMware licenses) or hardware to run applications in a virtualized data center.
The non-clustered federation of the Cloudistics Cloud platform uses categories and tags to characterize computer nodes, migration zones, and storage groups (or blocks).
Here are 5 ways non-clustered architectures improve VM Management:
- Node Limits Are A Thing of the Past. Virtual data center architectures aren’t limited to the 64 node limits of VMware clusters.
- Removes Locking Limitations. There’s no need for cluster-wide locking when data is being written from a node to a shared disk.
- Enhances Flexibility. Compute nodes can have dissimilar instruction sets and dissimilar architecture capabilities.
- Removes Ladders of Latency. Without the burden of intervening file systems, the extra translation steps needed when writing data to disk are eliminated and data is written and retrieved much faster.
- Improves Efficiency. By aggregating the resources inside each cluster that would otherwise be wasted, cluster-free designs allow more workloads to run on a given set of resources.
Learn more about how the non-clustered architecture from Cloudistics can save you time, money and improve the operational efficiency of your VMs. Read our whitepaper “Cloudistics Ignite – Next Generation Clusterless Federation Design” by Dr. Jai Menon, IBM Fellow, Dell CTO Emeritus, and Chief Scientist at Cloudistics.